The Yogi Diet and Brahma Bhojan
Food creates emotions and emotions create our physical and mental health. Hence it is essential to care what we eat. Here is a spiritual guide for not only a BK, but also for anyone who wish to heal their body by simply having the right conscious diet.
( We appeal you to please read the entire article till the end. This can be the First Step towards a new beginning, a new way of your life. Download PDF version of this article )
At Brahma Kumaris centres, brothers and sisters who are completely surrendered eats food which is cooked by themselves. we remain in the state of meditation which cooking the food and also while eating it. This food when stays in our stomach (a body organ), constantly sends conscious signals to our mind that 'meditation made me feel better'. That is the same stage what we had during eating the food, shall be remembered for a long time since the food, especially water present in the food is carrying emotional energies. This energy is very subtle that it only works with our sub-conscious mind.
Since the sub-conscious mind carry our deep sanskars (nature), it can be said that ''We become what we Eat''
* Why Vegetarian?
Vegetables grows on land, naturally. Land is the provider of food and shelter. Hence in some religions, the land is said as The Mother. Nature is our mother, who provides us everything in plenty. Fruits and vegetables grown on land has all the essential nutrients for our body. Plus this does not harm anyone. It is naturally grown or can be grown. On the other hand, killing of animals is a man's sinful action. Taking other being's life is sin, isn't it?
Animals kill and eat other animals to live because survival alone is their aim of life. But we are human beings. Survival is not the ultimate aim. Instead, we have sympathy and compassion for other beings. We are much higher conscious souls than the souls of animals and birds. We should then act as their care-takers, and not kill them to fill our stomach.
God has given plenty of resources like vast land, where we can grow vegetables, rain due to which they wil grow and many harvest facilities are present. In the interest of everyone, human beings must understand now the importance of being vegetarian and that too conscious.
* Conscious Eating
Preparing the food and eating the food while in a state of peace and relaxation soothes the body and allows the digestive organs to function efficiently as they assimilate and distribute nutrients to the cells.
In addition to helping the digestive system, pure thoughts infuse the food with positive energy. This energy enters our cells like a peaceful tune, inspiring them to dance harmoniously. Though this may have been a far-out concept years ago, recent research in quantum physics, as well Dr. Emoto's research on the effects of consciousness on matter, supports this concept. All matter responds to the energy of our thoughts. Why not make our food, which is deposited in the body three times a day, sing with high spiritual energy?
Tips to prepare food while in a good state of mind
1. Take a shower to cleanse the energies you may have picked up during the day. Water refreshes both the body and the spirit. Then turn on some gentle music in the kitchen. Set the intention to make your mealtime preparation a quiet, meditative process. Stay present and enjoy the silence as you chop, clean and cook.
2. Meditate for 5-10 minutes before you prepare your food. In your meditation, nurture a simple thought. For example, "I, the soul, am fresh, pure, clean light." As you meditate on this thought, savour it. Visualise it. Feel it. Experience it. Then enter into your kitchen with the intention to hold that experience and thought as you prepare your meal. Learn RajYoga meditation.
3. Take a few moments of silence before you cook. Invite God into the kitchen with you to pour the pure energy of spiritual love over your food. As you cook, imagine God as a waterfall of divine pure, loving light above you. In each moment, see that light as it pours over your mind and heart as well as the food. Hold this vision as you prepare your meal.
Tips on the state of mind while Eating the food
1. While you eat, simply eat and be fully present. Resist the urge to check your cell phone or search the web. Set the intention to eat calmly. Chew each bite at least 40 times. By counting the bites, you not only improve your digestion but you become present, peaceful and focused.
2. Before you eat, take a moment to become aware that you are a soul and that the body is an instrument that allows you, the soul, to travel through the physical world and experience the sights, sounds and scenes of life on the planet. Eating is a way of filling the body with good, healthy fuel.
3. With each bite you eat, imagine that you are filling that food with pure, healing light. As you swallow, visualise that light pouring into every cell of the body… healing the body and bringing it into balance and harmony.
Set the intention to rest your mind on one simple thought as you eat. As you eat, simply hold the thought, "I am a peaceful soul." Allow yourself to really feel it and experience peace. If your mind wanders, simply come back to that one thought and see if you can hold that for the duration of your meal.
✱ What should you Eat? - A Yogi's Balanced Diet ✱
Though tasty food is a treat to the tongue, eating is more than pleasure. It is the utmost care for the instrument of the body, the natural world and the delicate balance of all living beings. Below are a few thoughts on the yogic diet.
The yogi understands that pure and virtuous actions create freedom and peace within. Love is the highest intention behind any action. As we raise our vibration spiritually, our conscience won't allow us to harm any living thing on a subtle or gross level. We become mindful of where our food has come from and whether it was cultivated with care and respect.
World appreciates non-violence. A life of ‘ahimsa' or non-violence sweetens the mind and calms the soul. It can be a challenging leap for those new to the spiritual path but one worth at least trying. Through experimentation, we can see for ourselves the calming effect a kind diet has on the mind.
The deepest truths of life are often the simplest. As we return to our real nature, it makes sense to return to real food. The universe, the elements of nature and our bodies are infinitely intelligent. Fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts in their natural form align us with that intelligence and nourish us with its benefits. Please visit our website Yogic Agriculture to know more about how we grow and harvest our crops as per spiritual aspect.
✤ Listen to Your Heart ✤
There are countless theories about the ideal, healthy diet. How do we know which one to listen to? The good news is we need only turn within. As we deepen the power of stillness, our intuition raises its volume. With each meal, we can observe the effects of certain foods on our mood and energy. As we listen, we hear what the body truly needs. It then becomes an act of care to respond and nourish the body and soul with those foods that uplift the spirit, sing into the cells and restore the life force. Each of us is unique, and the map to our highest destination of health, wealth and happiness lies within.
✿ Brahma Bhojan ✿
Brahma Bhojan is simply the food we Brahma Kumar and Brahma Kumaris (BKs) prepare and eat. Why is it called Brahma Bhojan? It is because this food is prepared from the ingredients from Shiv baba's (God's) bhandara (collection or godown) and it is prepared in the remembrance of Shiv baba. Brahma is the medium of God (Shiv baba). We take only a little amount from Shiv baba's bhandara which is like taking a drop from an ocean. So the food is not said 'Shiv bhojan' also because 'Shiv' or God is incorporeal and the food is ofcourse corporeal and is for the corporeal body. Hence God's corporeal medium's name (Brahma) is used to describe this food.
✣✣✣ Useful links, Just for You ✣✣✣
All General Articles - Hindi & English